Sunday, April 19, 2015

The Parenting Arms Race

As I have had opportunity to meet with school administrators from across the nation over the past fifteen years I have become much more in tune with issues related to education where there is a significant difference between various regions of our country.  I have had a chance to get into a lot of different schools and see students from many of our fifty states.  One of my takeaways is that for the most part, kids are kids.  There really isn’t much difference between those kids who attend a school from a wealthy suburb near San Diego to those from an inner-city school in Philadelphia.  They may have a little different fashion sense from one place to another, but other than that, you could pick a young lady up from Celebration High School near Orlando and put her into Centennial High School in Nebraska and you would have a hard time picking her out.  This may be a little bit of a simplification because there are in fact some regional differences, but not as much as some people may think.  This said, I am still very happy being in the Midwest where it seems that our perspective has a little more balance.  Yes, there are folks out there on the extreme in every community, but overall, I believe that the Midwest is the best place to raise a family.  That is why I have included this article from the Washington Post.  I have bumped into a few of these kinds of folks even here in Iowa, yet I am glad I do not work in a school where the perspective mirrors this.  However, while the “status seeking on steroids” you will read about is at times mind-blowing, there is a degree of it in our own community, certainly not on this level, but it is here.  The bottom line is that we want to do what is best for our kids, and we need to have a perspective that is reasonable and in their best interest.


No comments:

Post a Comment