Sunday, October 14, 2018

Should Schools Ban Cell Phones?

Over the course of the past few years I have had many people tell me that we should ban cell phones at the high school.  It is no secret that we have had significant problems with the devices as well as social media and other related problems.  We have spent a tremendous amount of time studying how best to deal with them, as have school leaders in every other school district in the country.  I have yet to find a public high school that has banned their use, and to the contrary, most colleagues share similar concerns that I have about their presence and the influence they are having over the lives of our students.  

I have to admit that I raised my eyebrows and perked up my listening skills when I walked through the office a few weeks back when I happened to see the scroll on the bottom of the screen say that cell phones had been banned in French schools.  Intrigued I went to Google to see what I could find out, and found it interesting that other countries have placed a ban on cell phones in schools as well.  And then I found the article I have included below, which I believe has relevance beyond the concept of banning phones.  In reality, it provides some suggestions for parents that would result in their kids not thinking they need their phones, and to have control over their lives so that a phone is simply a tool to use to communicate.  Give it a read!

Schools are banning smartphones. Here’s an argument for why they shouldn’t — and what they should do instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment